Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Glowing


My mom can be cooky at times, but when it comes to skin care that woman (and I hate to admit it) knows her stuff. For the longest time growing up I noticed how a lot of people would compliment my mother for her youthful complexion and having no stretch marks whatsoever after giving birth to three kids. One of the biggest stereotypes about Asian women (aside from the notion that we are meek, timid creatures who are 'apparently' wild in the bedroom) is that we never seem to age, or age at a much slower rate than the rest of the population. I used to laugh it off whenever I hear about it, but after paying a very close attention I couldn't agree more. When my mother was pregnant of my brothers and I she would make herself a turmeric and coconut milk paste that she used to apply everywhere on her tummy. Not only is turmeric an excellent source of anti-oxidant it can even out your skin tone and soften your skin making it glow and smooth. While I'll have to wait a few more years to try out her recipe I have decided to work on my own concoction. It's really easy to make and most of the ingredients can be found at home or a local grocery store.

Turmeric and Sugar Scrub


You need:
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cups granulated (or raw) sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder

Mix all the ingredients together and apply the scrub everywhere over your body. Leave it on a few minutes before showering. You don't need to apply body lotion after drying yourself because the olive oil will moisturize your skin. The turmeric can stain your skin a little bit, but it will blend nicely with your skin tone making you look tanned. Do this once every two weeks and I can guarantee that your skin will be smooth and you will glow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment